What are the 5 Crowns? And could you briefly explain each one?
REWARDS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS
One is neither saved nor kept by works (2 Timothy 1:9), but good works naturally follow salvation (Ephesians 2:10).
There is a system of balances found in the Scriptures when it comes to rewards, but not to salvation, which is a gift (Romans 6:23). These works will be weighed on God’s scales and put through judgmental fire. Thus, a system of addition and subtraction can be found at the Judgment Seat of Christ. Quality works, performed for the glory of God to win the souls of men when tested and found genuine, will earn crowns for the faithful for all eternity. They are likened to gold, silver, and precious stones (1 Corinthians 3:12-15). Eternal life is freely bestowed upon all who believe as a gift apart from works (Romans 6:23), and cannot be forfeited, but crowns can be earned and lost, accumulated and liquidated.
A Christian can accumulate rewards while he is on earth and then lose them before his death or the Rapture by foolish living. These are the consequences of a Christian living in sin (not loss of salvation, but of rewards… saved “so as by fire” (1 Corinthians 3:15; 2 John 8; Revelation 3:11; 2 Timothy 4:7, 8).
At the Judgment Seat of Christ, the Lord Jesus Christ will present a number of “crowns” for specific service:
- The Watcher’s Crown (a Crown of Righteousness), given to all who longingly and desiringly watch for Christ’s return (2 Timothy 4:8).
- The Runner’s Crown (an Incorruptible Crown), for all who strive for the mastery by keeping bodily appetites under control and being temperate in all things (1 Corinthians 9:24-27).
- The Shepherd’s Crown (a Crown of Glory) reserved for faithful ministers (1 Peter 5:1-4).
- The Soulwinner’s Crown (a Crown of Rejoicing), for those who bring others to the Saviour (1 Thessalonians 2:19; Psalm 126:5, 6; Luke 15:5, 6, 7, 10).
- The Sufferer’s Crown (a Crown of Life), for those who have suffered for the sake of Christ and the gospel (James 1:12; Matthew 5:10-12). It is also given to those who are faithful unto the end (Revelation 2:10).
This information comes from Dr Van Impes book called Your Future An A-Z Index To Prophecy.